In partnership with the Toronto School of Theology, Knox College provides the opportunity for more advanced work in areas of interest to our students. All Graduate Degrees are offered through the Toronto School of Theology (TST), and students are required to register at one of the TST Colleges. Knox College is one of the seven TST Colleges. Administration of the graduate program is a joint responsibility of TST and the particular College.
Graduate programs at Knox include two master’s programs and two doctoral programs. Typically, a student already holding a basic degree (MDiv, MTS, MRE, MPS) applies for a master’s program. In the master’s programs (MA and ThM), students focus on specific areas of theological studies. These are the usual path to doctoral studies (PhD and DMin).
The Master of Theology (ThM) is designed for full-time or part-time studies. It may be completed in 1 academic year of full-time study or can be completed part-time over a period of up to 6 years. Requirements include two languages, 6 graduate courses, a formal thesis proposal, and a thesis. Find a full program description here on the TST website.
- Master’s degree in appropriate field
- CGPA 3.3/4.0 or greater (77%; B+)
- Academic Research Language
- English-Language Proficiency
Admissions to this program are overseen by the Graduate Center for Theological Studies (GCTS) at the Toronto School of Theology (TST). Interested applicants must submit a Graduate Degree Program Application through the GCTS at TST.
Master of Theology program learning outcomes
Students will demonstrate:
1. Depth and breadth of knowledge in one theological area of focus, engaging with other areas of focus as appropriate.
2. Ability to work respectfully across ecumenical, multi-religious, and intercultural contexts.
3. Skills and practices of theological scholarship and institutional leadership at an advanced level.