To study at Knox College, students must be able to comprehend, speak, and write in the English language at a graduate level. Applicants may meet this requirement in a variety of ways.
When Proof of Proficiency May Not Be Required
Applicants may not need to provide written proof of English proficiency if they meet one of these three criteria:
- Applicant’s native language is English (language first learned and still used on a daily basis)
- Applicant has obtained a bachelor’s degree from an institution recognized by the University of Toronto and where the language of instruction and examination is uniformly in English
- Applicant has completed a degree in one of the following countries/regions: Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Botswana, Ghana, Guyana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States of America, Zambia, or Zimbabwe. (Note: Some applicants from the above mentioned countries/regions may be required to provide proof of English proficiency, as English is not the sole language of instruction at all universities.)
When Applicants May Petition to have Proof of Proficiency Waived
Applicants who meet one of the following conditions may petition to have the proof of English proficiency requirement waived:
- Applicant has completed a degree in a country not listed above, but where the language of instruction and examination is uniformly in English.
- Applicant has completed a minimum of 2 years of full-time studies or the equivalent in a post-secondary institution recognized by the University of Toronto and where the language of instruction and examination is uniformly in English.
- Applicant has completed an academic English program at a different university that may be equivalent to the English Language Program at the School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto (Academic English).
Proficiency Testing Requirements
Applicants required to demonstrate their English proficiency must provide official copies of test results; see the specific scores/results required here. Knox College cannot accept test results that are older than two years at the time of application.