The Master of Pastoral Studies program equips persons for leadership in helping professions. At Knox College, MPS students choose one of the three foci:
- Spiritual Care: Provide spiritual care and therapy in faith communities, private practice offices, social service agencies, or public institutions — such as healthcare institutions, long-term care facilities, hospices, prisons, and educational institutions.
- Social Services Ministry: Provide leadership in faith-based organizations, non-profits, or secular social agencies.
- Congregational Leadership (Worship and Preaching): Lead in Christian congregations by focusing on worship, preaching, pastoral care, or other areas of congregational life and mission.
All MPS students are required to do core courses in Old Testament, New Testament, Theology, Ethics, Theology of Religions/Interfaith Leadership, and the History of Christianity. Each of the three foci then focuses in a particular aspect of pastoral care. Students need to work with their faculty advisor to ensure they move efficiently through the program.
MPS Degree with Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy Certificate (MPS, SCP Cert.)
Students within the Spiritual Care stream may apply for the MPS, Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy Certificate (MPS, SCP Cert.) after completing five courses and being accepted into a practicum. This is a recognized education program for the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO). Graduates with the Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy certificate are eligible to move toward registration in the College of Registered Psychotherapist of Ontario. With two additional CPE units (Advanced), graduates may move towards certification with the Canadian Association of Spiritual Care (CASC) as psycho-spiritual therapists or spiritual care practitioners with focus in healthcare, prison, or community-based chaplaincy.
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent degree from a university recognized by the University of Toronto
- CGPA 2.7/4.0 or greater (70%; B-); if your undergraduate degree was conferred by a postsecondary institution that uses a grading scale other than the 4.0 GPA scale, please review your transcripts to confirm CGPA equivalency before applying to Knox College.
- Proficiency in English
- Academic/professional and pastoral references
See Tuition/Financial Aid for helpful information on tuition estimates, bursaries, and scholarships.