Curbside book pickup for Knox College’s Caven Library
Caven Library is offering curbside pickup and scan and deliver services for print books in the Caven Library that are not available electronically through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service. This service is by appointment only; the library and Knox College remain closed to the public.
Curbside pickup service is available Mondays and Thursdays from 10 am – 2 pm. After you submit your request, we will get back to you to set up a date and time for pickup. See details below for how to request and pick up materials.
Note: These procedures will be in place until further notice and may change in September.
Curbside pickup service availability
Who: Anyone holding a valid T-Card with their library account in good standing (not blocked). Patrons must bring and wear a mask. You are also encouraged to bring your own bag to transport books. The library will not provide masks or bags.
What: Caven Library circulating materials on shelf and NOT available through the HathiTrust: https://library.utoronto.ca/linkit/hathi-trust-etas
When: Mondays and Thursdays by appointment between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Where: Knox College parking lot entrance, north side of the college (see details below).
How to request materials:
Using your U of T email address, send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide the following information:
- For EACH book: a) Call number, b) full book title, c) author, and c) publishing date
- Your full name and your library barcode number beginning with 21762 (located underneath the barcode on your T-Card/ library card)
- Your phone number
Limit of 10 items per person per day.
How to pick up materials:
Wait for a confirmation email from the library staff to learn your pickup time. Remember to bring your mask, your T-card, and (if you wish) a bag.
- At your appointed time, walk up the walkway of 63 St. George Street and around between buildings to the Knox College parking lot door located at the north side of the college. (The parking lot will not be open for parking.)
- When you arrive, call the library at 647-237-7864 to let the staff know you are waiting in the parking lot. A staff member will unlock and open the door via the accessibility button.
- Masks must be worn by both patrons and staff members.
- Immediately inside the door, turn left into Classroom 3. To facilitate contactless pickup of materials, staff will place the books on a table and stand at a distance from the table. Place your T-Card on the table and step away while the staff member confirms your identity.
- Once your identity is confirmed, staff will return to a safe distance away while you pack up your books (if you have brought a bag).
- Exit through the same door, using the accessibility button to open the door to the parking lot.
Knox College remains closed to the public. Washrooms are not available.
Scan and deliver service availability
Who: Anyone holding a valid T-Card with their account in good standing (not blocked)
What: Scans of chapters and/or print journal articles in Caven Library that are not available through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service and within copyright compliance guidelines
When: Beginning July 8th
Where: Delivered to your email
How: Send your request to email@example.com