Curbside book pickup for Knox College’s Caven Library
Caven Library is offering curbside pickup/book return, and scan and deliver services for print books in the Caven Library that are not available electronically through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service. This service is by appointment only; the library and Knox College remain closed to the public.
Caven Library Curbside Pickup/ Return runs Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10:00 am to 4:00 p.m. Patrons with a valid UTORid will be able to submit a request through the UTL catalogue for any physical items in our collection not held in the Hathitrust Digital Library. When the materials are ready for collection, patrons will receive a pickup notice by email. This message will explain our contactless pickup procedures and social distancing protocols.
NOTE: Library staff cannot accommodate in-person requests for this service. Please make sure you make your request using the UTL catalogue.
Making a Request
- Find your item(s) in the library catalogue.
- In the catalogue record, click the Get Help button and follow the prompts.
- If an electronic copy of the book is available via the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS), you will be provided with a link to the ETAS. (Please note you will then need to log in to HathiTrust to access the full text.)
- If not, continue by clicking “Request Curbside Pickup” and click “Continue.”
- Have your barcode and pin ready and enter the information and click “Continue.”
- Making a request: Under “Call Number,” please select Knox College (Caven Library) to pick up the item at the Caven Library. Please remember to enter your email address so that we can reach you when your request(s) are ready for pickup. If another person will be picking up your items, please ensure you add a note saying so in the notes field before you click “Submit request.”
- You will receive an automated message to let you know when your request has been received. Staff will check the shelf for your requested book(s) and send a message about any requested book(s) that are not available.
- Wait for a final e-mail providing instructions for where and when to pick up your item(s).
If you have any questions or problems, please email us at email@example.com.
Picking up materials:
Wait for a confirmation email from the library staff to learn your pickup time. Remember to bring your mask, your T-card, and (if you wish) a bag.
- During the pickup hours, walk up the walkway of 63 St. George Street and around between buildings to the Knox College parking lot door located at the north side of the college. (The parking lot will not be open for parking.)
- When you arrive, call the library at 416-978-6719 to let the staff know you are waiting in the parking lot.
- Masks must be worn by both patrons and staff members.
- To facilitate contactless pickup of materials, staff will bring your materials out to you on a rolling cart. When staff have stepped away, pick up your book(s).
Knox College remains closed to the public. Washrooms are not available.
You may return books Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday, 10 AM to 4 PM. When you arrive at the parking lot door, call the library at 416-978-6719 to let the staff know you are at the parking lot and wish to return materials. You may also return materials when you pick up new requests.
Scan and deliver service availability
Who: Anyone holding a valid T-Card with their account in good standing (not blocked)
What: Scans of chapters and/or print journal articles in Caven Library that are not available through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service and within copyright compliance guidelines (up to 10% or one chapter)
Where: Delivered to your email
How: Send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org